Spike Lee’s black masculinity.
Script: Click here
- hooks, bell. “Counterhegemonic art: Do the Right Thing”. From Yearning: Race, Gender, and Cultural Politics.
- Clark, Ashley. “Style & Identity in Do the Right Thing”.
- Elise, Sharon and Adewole Umoja. “Spike Lee Constructs the New Black Man: Mo’ Better”. (PDF link)
- Blackness on its own terms
- Young vs. old black men
- Personal as political
- Black male patriarchy
- Bogle, Donald. Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films.
- Hopkinson, Natalie. “Why Mookie Did the Wrong Thing”. Via The Root.
- Miller, E. Ethelbert. “Why Ever Black Man Should Wear Number 42”. Via Voice Male Magazine.
- Reid, Mark A. (ed.) “Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing” Cambridge Film Handbook.
All sound clips are from Do the Right Thing. I do not claim ownership to these clips and use them for fair use purposes only.