In which we take a look at the 1988 action-adventure film Die Hard and see a right-leaning libertarian masculine model in John McClane.
Script: Click here
- Cohen, Paul. “Cowboys Die Hard: Real Men and Businessmen in the Reagan-Era Blockbuster”.
- Jeffords, Susan. Hard Bodies: Hollywood Masculinity in the Reagan Era.
- Cebulski, Bryan. “I Love You Man… With a Firm Handshake: Quelling Homoeroticism in Die Hard”.
- Male body as a spectacle of pain
- Parallels to the American Western “lone hero” film archetype
- Anti-corporate sentiment
- Anti-second wave feminism
- Rigid adherence to heterosexuality
All sound clips are from Die Hard. I do not claim ownership to these clips and use them for fair use purposes only.